Deputy Director General for Research (Antarctica)
Doctor of Geological and Mineralogical Sciences
- Institute for Geology and Mineral Resources of the World Ocean, (VNIIOkeangeologia);
- Saint Petersburg State University, Institute of Earth Sciences.
- Doctor of science (geology and mineralogy), Moscow State University, 2013.
- Candidate in earth sciences (equivalent of Ph.D.), VNIIOkeangeologia, 1999.
- MSc in Geophysics, Leningrad Mining Institute, USSR, 1981.
- 2008 to present: Associate Professor, Professor at the SPb State University
- 2016 to present: Deputy director general, VNIIokeangeologia.
- 1993 to present: Head of Department of Antarctic Geoscience, VNIIOkeangeologia.
- 1981 – 1993: Junior research scientist, research scientist, VNIIOkeangeologia.
- Interpretation of geophysical data, marine geology, tectonics, geodynamics, geology of the Antarctic.
Research and development projects since 2013
- Geology and tectonics of Central Antarctica from geological proxy record and geophysical data (Russian Foundation for Basic Research, RFBR) - Head;
- Environment and geology of subglacial Lake Vostok in Central Antarctica (Russian Foundation for Basic Research, RFBR) - Head;
- Deep structure, thermal evolution and magmatism of the East Antarctic transitional zones and adjacent oceans (Russian Science Foundation, RSF) -Head;
- Tectonic Map of Antarctica: 2-nd Edition with Explanatory Note (Commission for Geological Map of the World; CGMW) - Head;
- Paleobathymetric grids of the Cenozoic Southern Ocean (International Project within the PAIS SCAR scientific Program) - coauthor;
- Geological and geophysical study and assessment of the mineral potential of the subsoil of Antarctic continent and its marginal seas as part of the 61st RAE, 62rd RAE and 63rd RAE, compiling summary maps of the geological content of 1: 1,000,000 - 1: 2,500,000 central sector of East Antarctica (Glacier region Denman, Land of Queen Mary), (State task of the Federal Agency for Subsoil Use) - head.
- Geological and geophysical study and assessment of the mineral potential of the subsoil of Antarctica and its marginal seas as part of the 64th RAE; compilation of summary maps of geological content of 1: 2,500,000 scale of the western sector of East Antarctica (eastern part of the Queen Maud Land) ”(State task of the Federal Agency for Subsoil Use) - head.
Significant publications during the past 5 years Totally: 120 Scientific papers, 3 Monographs, 6 Maps
- Fretwell P., Pritchard H.D., et al. 2013. Bedmap2: Improved ice bed, surface and thickness datasets for Antarctica. The Cryosphere. Vol. 7. pp. 375–393;
- Whittaker J., Goncharov A., Williams S., Müller R.D., Leitchenkov G. 2013. Global Sediment Thickness Dataset updated for the Australian-Antarctic Southern Ocean. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems. DOI:10.1002/ggge.20181;
- Leitchenkov G.L., Guseva Yu.B., Gandyukhin V.V., Ivanov S.V., Safronova L.V. 2014. Structure of the Earth’s crust and tectonic evolution history of the Southern Indian Ocean (Antarctica). 2014. Geotectonika. Vol. 48, No1, pp.8-28;
- Kennicutt II M.C., Chown S., et al. 2014. Six priorities for Antarctic science. Nature Comments. Vol. 512. P. 23–25;
- Kennicutt II M.C., Chown S.L, et al. 2014. A roadmap for Antarctic and Southern Ocean science for the next 2 two decades and beyond. Antarctic Science. 2014. Vol. P 1–16. doi:10.1017/S0954102014000674;
- Scheinert M., Ferraccioli F., Schwabe J., Bell R., Studinger M., Damaske D., Jokat W., Aleshkova N., Jordan T., Leitchenkov G., Blankenship D. D., Damiani T. M., Young D., Cochran J. R., Richter TD. 2016. New Antarctic Gravity Anomaly Grid for Enhanced Geodetic and Geophysical Studies in Antarctica. Geoph. Res. Let. Vol. 43. doi:10.1002/2015GL067439;
- Leitchenkov G., Antonov A., Luneov P., Lipenkov V. 2016. Geology and environments of subglacial Lake Vostok. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A. Vol. 374, 20140303. (doi: 10.1098/rsta.2014.0303);
- Petrov O, Shokalsky S., Grikurov G., Leitchenkov G., Pospelov I. 2016. I. Commission for the Geological Map of the World. 60 years of Russia’s participation. CGMW. St- Petersburg, VSEGEI. 32p.;
- Vasilyev N.I., Leychenkov G.L., Zagrivny E.A. 2017. Prospects of obtaining samples of bottom sediments from Subglacial Lake Vostok. Zapiski Gornogo Instituta. Vol. 224, pp.199-208.
- Leitchenkov G.L., Belyatsky B.V., Kaminsky V.D. 2018. The age of rift-related basalts in East Antarctica. Doklady Earth Sciences. Doklady Earth Sciences. Vol. 478, Part 1, pp. 11–14;
- Leitchenkov G.L., Dubinin E.P., Grokholsky A.L., Agranov G.D. 2018. Formation and Evolution of Microcontinents of the Kerguelen Plateau, Southern Indian Ocean. Geotectonics, 2018, Vol. 52, No. 5, pp. 499–515;
- Galushkin Yu.I., Leitchenkov G.L., Guseva Yu.B., Dubinin E.P. 2018. The Stretching Amplitude and Thermal Regime of the Lithosphere in the NonVolcanic Passive Margin of Antarctica in the Mawson Sea Region. Physics of the Solid Earth. Vol. 54. No. 1, pp. 79–90;
- Klimke J., Franke D., Mahanjane E.S., Leitchenkov G. 2018. Tie-points for Gondwana reconstructions from a structural interpretation of the Mozambique Basin, East Africa, and the Riiser-Larsen Sea, Antarctica. Solid Earth. Vol. 9, pp. 25–37;
- Paxman1 G.J.G, Jamieson S.S.R, Ferraccioli F., Bentley M.J., Ross N., Armadillo E., Gasson E.G.W, Leitchenkov G, DeConto R.M. 2018. Bedrock Erosion Surfaces Record Former East Antarctic Ice Sheet Extent. Geoph. Res. Letters. Doi: org/10.1029/2018GL077268;
- Sushchevskaya N.M., Belyatsky B.V., Tkacheva D.A., Leitchenkov G.L., Kuzmin D.V., Zhilkina A.V. Early Cretaceous alkaline magmatism of East Antarctica (peculiarity, conditions of formation abd relationship with the Kerguelen Plume). Geochemistry International. Vol. 56. No. 11, pp., pp. 1051–1070;
- Mikhalsky E.V., Leitchenkov G.L. (Eds.). 2018. Geological map of Mac.Robertson Land, Princess Elizabeth Land, and Prydz Bay (East Antarctica) in scale 1:1 000 000 (Map Sheet and Explanatory Notes). St.-Petersburg. VNIIOkeangeologia;
- Leitchenkov G.L., Galushkin Yu.I., Guseva Yu.B., Dubinin E. Evolution of Sedimentary Basin in the Cooperation Sea based on Numerical modeling. Geology and Geophysics. In Press
- Participant of 2 onland and 6 marine expeditions (at 5 - as a scientific advisor) to Antarctica
- Coordinator of the Russian earth science program in Antarctica on behalf of Rosnedra Agency, the Ministry of Natural Resources of the Russian Federation.
- Vice-president for Antarctica of the UNESCO Commission for Geological Map of the World;
- National representative of SCAR (Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research) Scientific Standing Group on Geoscience;
- Member of Scientific Council on Tectonics & Geodinamics (Russian Academy of Science);
- member of GDRE (D’un Groupement de Recherche Europeen) “Vostok”;
- Member of Editorial Boards of international Journals “Terra Antarctica” and “Polish Polar Research”.
- Member of Editorial Bord of Journal “Problems of Arctic and Antarctic”;
- Member of EGU.
- Assosiate Partnet in EuroAndrill Consortium (An international geological drilling initiative to understand Antarctica’s role in the global climate system);
- Coauthor of Antarctic ODP and IODP proposals;
- Chairman of State Examination Board (St.-Petersburg Mining University, Geological Department).
Saint-Petersburg State University, Institute of Earth Sciences:
- M.Sc.: 1) Interpretation of seismic data; 2) Seismic Stratigraphy; 3) Gas and Oil Geophysics; 4) Methods of Seafloor Mapping (POMOR Programm).
- Training Program “Study and Exploitation of Marine Mineral Resources”
- Medal of Merit II (Russian Federation);
- Honorary Prospector (Ministry of Natural Resources and Ecology, Russian Federation),
- Honorary Polar Explorer (Ministry of Transport, Russian Federation);
- Honorary Diploma (Ministry of Natural Resources and Ecology, Russian Federation);
- Prize of St.-Petersburg State University “For Fundamental achievements in Science”, 2017;
- Prize of Karpinsky (Prize of St.-Petersburg Government “For Outstanding Scientific Results in the Field of Science and Technology”, 2018)